Classes start every 8 weeks
Elana Meyers Keller student and Silver medalist

Congratulations Elana Meyers, Keller Student – Silver Medalist in Bobsled

By DeVry University

DeVry Team USA pushed for success in the Women’s Bobsled 2 man event! Congratulations to Elana Meyers, Keller Graduate School of Management student, on bringing home the silver medal. We’re so proud of you!

Elana Meyers had a dream of winning an Olympic medal from a young age. Growing up in Georgia, she participated in a myriad of sports but her greatest athletic passion was softball. After much hard work, Elana graduated to become a collegiate and professional softball player. She excelled in the sport and hoped to compete on Team USA in the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Before she had the chance, Elana received the disappointing news that softball had been removed from the Olympic roster. However, Elana was determined to reach her Olympic goals. It was then that she shifted her focus to a different sport in pursuit of her dream.  “One evening, my parents were watching bobsled on television, and they encouraged me to try it,” Elana explained. Always an adventure seeker, she welcomed the chance to continue her athletic career.

With the help of a solid support group and sheer determination, Elana made the national team in 2007. She went on to win a bronze medal at the 2008 World Cup and a silver medal at the 2009 World Championships. At the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, her lifelong goal was realized; she took home the bronze medal in the women's two-man bobsled competition.

Though Elana continued to train full time in preparation for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, she understands the important role her education will play after she leaves the bobsled track; Elana is studying at DeVry University’s Keller Graduate School of Management, working toward earning her master’s degree in business administration.

“With such a demanding schedule, I have to take it one day at a time,” she says. “Just like training for the Olympics, my motivation to continue my education at Keller Graduate School of Management is self-driven. I know I’m only going to get out of each class what I put into it. And like all students, I know I have to work hard to reach my academic goals.”

Click here to learn more about Elana, or congratulate her on Twitter @eamslider24.

Photo credit: Al Bello/Getty Images Sports/Getty Images