Classes start every 8 weeks
Erin Hamlin: DVU Student & Bronze Medalist in Luge

Congratulations Erin Hamlin, DVU Student - Bronze Medalist in Luge

By DeVry University

Congratulations to DeVry University student Erin Hamlin on her bronze medal in Women’s Luge Singles! Erin Hamlin is the first American, male or female, to win a medal in an Olympic singles luge competition.

Throughout her life, Erin Hamlin was constantly introduced to new sports and outdoor activities.  Gymnastics became her favorite, which instilled a great deal of concentration, dedication and strength of mind and body.  She then decided to channel this athleticism to luging at the age of 12.  She worked her way through the National Team’s developmental luge program and, in just a few short years, she was living and training full time in Lake Placid, N.Y. Hamlin went on to compete at the 2006 and 2010 Olympic, Winter Games and aspired to compete for Team USA in the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

Despite her demanding training schedule, Hamlin keeps her mind sharp and focused on the future outside athletics by pursuing a bachelor’s degree in technical management with a specialization in sustainability management at DeVry University. “I feel that learning helps keep me looking forward to what is next,” she explains.

Once Hamlin’s athletic career comes to an end, she plans on using her degree to help corporations plan more environmentally-friendly events. “Being a part of many sporting events over the years has shown me that there is room for improvement from a sustainability standpoint,” she says. “Continuing my education and earning a degree will allow me to explore a career in which I can achieve this.”

Click here to learn more about Erin, or congratulate her on Twitter @erinhamlin.

Photo Credit: Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images Sports/Getty Image