7 Tips for Success from #Quinning
Advice on how to achieve your goals from U.S. Olympic bobsledder Johnny Quinn
U.S. Olympic bobsledder Johnny Quinn made headlines in Sochi when he broke through a bathroom door after it jammed shut. In less than a month, his infamous post generated more than 29,000 retweets and inspired a series of photos featuring fans bursting through their own barriers, a phenomenon referred to as #Quinning.
Even USA Today got in on the fun, covering the virtual sensation in an article, “Johnny Quinn’s Olympic meme asks you to destroy things and is very fun,” which highlighted people busting through all sorts of things, from medicine packaging to envelopes.
“I was pretty shocked at the response my post received and how quickly media reacted to my photo – it all happened so fast,” said Johnny. “I had the opportunity to reach people all over the world; people in New Zealand and Tokyo were sharing my story. But the coolest part was the connection I made with fans; people going through their own challenges felt inspired and energized, and everyone else got a good laugh and had more Olympic fun.”
Photo credit: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images Sport/Getty Images
A decorated athlete, business owner and student, Johnny Quinn sets out to conquer any challenge that comes his way. We asked the Olympian about how to achieve your goals and to share his tips for success:
1. Never. Give. Up. As founder of The Athlete Watch, Johnny regularly counsels high school athletes and their families as they navigate the college recruiting process. “Anyone can have a great day when you’re feeling well. But what about the days when it’s harder - can you still be great on those days? Those days separate the pretenders from the contenders.”
2. Learn from Others. Take a cue from successful leaders. Whether they’re working toward the same goals as you or focused on a different field altogether, these people can be valuable role models and mentors.
3. Hold yourself accountable. Success is yours if you want it, but you have to be responsible for your triumphs and your failures. Knowing you’re in charge of your own future can help you stay motivated and on task.
4. See the potential in every obstacle. Before managing his own business and competing in the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Johnny was a professional football player. An injury changed his career course and helped pave the way for where he is today as a motivational speaker, CEO and internationally-recognized bobsledder.
5. Continue to learn. Currently enrolled in DeVry’s Keller Graduate School of Management, Johnny uses education as a tool to help achieve his goals. Equip yourself with knowledge by enrolling in a program, reading a book or attending a seminar to stay connected and identify opportunities within your area of interest. “Taking classes at Keller has helped me continue to learn about my industry and better shape my business. Case studies and class discussions immediately transfer to my business and I couldn’t keep growing without pushing myself to keep learning.”
6. Give back. Helping others achieve their goals is motivating and eye opening while on your own journey to success. Find ways to mentor, support and coach others who share a similar passion – remember, what goes around, comes around!
7. Continue to set new goals. Working toward your dreams can help you recognize potential for growth in other areas of life. Johnny set out to start a business to help fellow sportsmen, and on the way, he uncovered a passion for motivational speaking. “I have big goals for my business and work to support student athletes who desire to play in college reach their goals. My passion has helped open a door for public speaking opportunities where I can help guide and motivate corporations, groups and people outside the sports world from tapping into my personal experience.”
No matter what the obstacle, keep Johnny’s advice in mind. For information about degree programs that could help you achieve your educational and career goals, contact DeVry University.